The test is designed to ferret out lurking narcissists, drama queens, and various immature writers who might best be served by not attending workshops or retreats any time soon. Feel free to use this test on any candidates for your own writer events
- Michael Neff
WE Chief Editor
- Has any writer ever prefaced their critique of your work by first saying to you, "Don't hate me, please?"
- Do you sense that writers who unfavorably critique your work are "loading the gun" and taking aim?
- Do you rush to defend your work when a reader gives you criticism rather than absorb and weigh it carefully?
- Do you feel a need to say unkind things about a writer's work if you perceive she or he was unkind to you first?
- Have you ever chastised any writer for what you consider to be improper or incorrect critique of your work?
- Have you ever been in writer workshops and reacted to criticism of your writing or story by demanding the other writer defend their decision in such detail that it served your purpose of making certain they never gave you unfavorable critique again?
- Do you receive critique you oppose in good humor, but routinely seek the negation of it from those you know will agree with your version of reality?
- Do you see yourself in one of the pushy and ill-informed stereotypes depicted in the film above?